Easy Chicken Rendang
for 3 to 4 servings
- 2 chicken thighs, 2 chicken drumsticks
- 1 ½ cup coconut, grated
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 5 shallots
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 15 dried chillies, soaked
- 40 g galangal
- 40 g ginger
- 20 g turmeric
- 2 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Toast grated coconut for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
- Blend together shallots, garlic, lemongrass, dried chillies, galangal, ginger and turmeric into fine paste.
- Heat 200 ml of oil on low.
- Fry chilli paste until for 10 to 15 minutes or until fragrance.
- Add toasted grated coconut. Stir until well combined.
- Add chicken. Stir until evenly coated.
- Add brown sugar and salt to taste.
- Add coconut milk. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until chickens are cooked through.
- Add chopped kaffir lime leaves. Mix and serve.
- Good with steamed Jasmine rice. Enjoy!