Smoked Salmon Dutch BabyDecember 15, 2017
Steamed Prawns with Shaoxing Wine and Egg White “花雕蛋白蒸虾”January 9, 2018
Who can resist a crispy on the outside, scrumptious crab filling stuffed on the inside of a crab shell? We all love fried food during the festive seasons, especially during Chinese New Year. Make this dish, I promise all your family members and guests will start gathering around the dining table with chopsticks ready in their hands.
– After all, this is not difficult to make.
Servings: 2 persons
Difficulty level: Beginner
2 flower crabs
3 to 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and diced
2 tbsp yellow onion, diced
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
Some all-purpose flour for dusting
Some bread crumbs for breading
1 tbsp ginger, minced
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
Preparing crab meat
- Steam flower crabs for 10 minutes on high-heat. Let cool until easy to handle.
- Carefully, extract meat from shells.
- For the top shells, trim off the edges until smooth.
- Dust shells with flour.
Preparing crab filling
- Mix together cooked crab meat, shiitake mushrooms, yellow onion, ginger, sugar, salt, white pepper and egg yolk. Mix well.
- Add flour. Mix well.
- Stuff crab filling into shell using fingers. Gently smooth out the surface.
- Cover filling with bread crumbs. Lightly press bread crumbs onto the filling. Make sure all areas are covered.
- Heat oil on high-heat. Sprinkle a pinch of bread crumbs into hot oil. If bread crumbs bubbling, the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Carefully place crab shell-side down into hot oil.
- Deep fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil.
- Serve while still warm. Enjoy!